How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need someone to review a separation agreement

Customer Question

need someone to review a separation agreement
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Phillip, thank you for the question.

What are you hoping to get accomplished, exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to ensure that the separation agreement will be upheld by a court if my wife decides to try and overturn it later.
also if there are any errors within the document I want them corrected or essential elements that you think could be missing. me and my wife are on good terms so we are both accepting of the fact either one can visit each other.not looking for legal advice just a review of the agreement before another lawyer will do the independent legal advise certificates
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

You can never be 100% certain that a court will uphold any contract. The primary reasons for overturning it are lack of independent legal advice, insufficient legal advice, and incapacity to understand terms an their import even when a lawyer explains them.

Is there a specific question you have about any of the terms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted you to glance at it / review it and see if anything stands out to you that I should be aware of... no specific area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a certificate of independent legal advise in the agreement so I think that has already been taken care of as best as it can
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to opt out as your expert. I can't provide ILA here, and I'm here to answer questions rather than review documents.

Good luck

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This question has appeared back on the open list because your original expert opted out. Let me explain how the site works. We cannot provide any legal advice. We can only provide general legal information. To get independent legal advice you need to have your own lawyer. This means you need to have a face-to-face consultation. There are plenty of lawyers who provide independent legal advice and then provide you with the requisite certificate at a very reasonable price. That is because they are not drafting the agreement but simply reviewing it, making sure you understand it, and explainjng the law to you.

If you wish for me to go ahead and explain how you can find a lawyer easily I can do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not asking for a lawyer.... this site is titled justanswer... ok how about this for a question:
what are some potential pitfalls in the attached separation agreement?if you cannot justanswer my question please refund my money including deposit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean I'm not asking for independent legal advise just a review
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

As we both told you we cannot review documents. The law is that we cannot practice law online. You are not our client. You need your own lawyer for legal advice and you need your lawyer to review a separation agreement and you need to pay appropriate legal fees to get that done.