How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101438
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a contract with Yellow Pages Canada year

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, I signed a contract with Yellow Pages Canada for one year for online advertising. My business name has been listed incorrectly for 2 months and after attempts to have my representative contact me, there has been no response or correction made. Is it possible to terminate the contract on the grounds that the ad is incorrect?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I signed a one year contract for an online ad with The agreement was to have a better ranking on their site, however, my business name is ***** ***** I was told when I signed the contract that this would be corrected, but after two months, has yet to be updated. I was also told that I would be signed up for automatic billing, but when I received the pre-authorized payment form, the form had the incorrect amount on it, so I requested a new form several times with no response. I also did not receive an invoice for the first two payments, but finally received it after speaking with customer service yesterday. As well, I was told I would be given access to manage my account online, but there were technical difficulties. I had sent a couple of emails to attempt to rectify the situation, but there was no response. Finally I called and a customer service representative fixed the account and advised me that my account representative had changed, however, my former account rep is still with the company, so would have received my emails.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

when is the last time you heard from them?

Have you paid them anything so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally had to call in and spoke to a customer service agent yesterday. She advised me that I had a new account representative so I sent her an email. She responded this morning indicating that she spoke with my former rep and that the name change was requested, but was rejected by their Listings Team (my business name has a '+' in it, however, it could also be replaced with 'and', but this was never done and there is already another company in the US that has the name they've listed me under). She said she would put in another request to have it changed. She also sent me the last 2 invoices and I just paid them this morning as I was worried about outstanding fees.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

They certainly have no right to decide that they have to change your name for some reason. Your name is ***** ***** name and they cannot change it especially without your consent. This is completely unprofessional and I am surprised that they think they can unilaterally change her name and advertise that way.

I suggest that you send them a letter today telling them that you will not pay them any further and in fact will be seeking reimbursement of the two months payments that you made under duress will unless they rectify the situation at once and provide you with two months additional free advertising.

If they do not agree you can ignore them and not pay and let them sue you and defend or you can sue them in small claims court for a refund of the last two months pay and as well for any damages you feel your business has incurred because of their failure to advertise properly.

Let me know if you need any further clarification

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance. Hopefully the manager is receptive.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I hope so.

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy your weekend.