How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100942
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****......I have a daughter that is 19,

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****......I have a daughter that is 19, and I have submitted a request to terminate support. She is done college. To the best of my knowledge, she barley went to class, and I don't think she graduated. Even if she did graduate, she would have been done in September. Her mother responded to FRO that she was still in school as of a couple of weeks ago. FRO won't provide any details to me. How do I establish is my daughter is still in school...or if the support should have ended when she turned 18, since she wasn't attending school last year, even though she may have been enrolled?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have not had a relationship with my daughter for maybe 5 years. She turned down 100 consecutive offers to spend time together. He mother was messaged on the last 30 attempts. In court, her mother claimed that it was I who didn't want the relationship, and denied that she was aware of any of the invites that were made.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The FRO is not going to be able to do anything unless you vary the court order.

You will have to apply to the court by way of motion to change the existing order to end the support.

You will provide any information that you have available to you to the court. But, most importantly your child's other parent will have to prove to the court that your child is enrolled and attending school full-time. If she cannot prove this to court will the support because your daughter is no longer entitled to support because she has reached the age of majority and is no longer attending school full-time.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.