Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had an acute inhalation injury during an office

Customer Question

I had an acute inhalation injury during an office renovation , when a broken air conditioner picked up the construction dust/mold. I was very sick and off from work for months. The permanent damage is in my airways in the form of obstruction. I have lots of documentation, witnesses and doctor's reports. I would like to know what my legal rights are to deal with the company.
Sincerely,
Eva Ihasz (###) ###-####***@******.***
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying this happened while at work?

What province do you live in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Alberta and yes it happened during an office renovation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Alberta and yes it happened during an office renovation and I am not the construction worker but an x-ray technologist.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you report this to Worker's Compensation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company doesn't have Worker's Compensation, we deal with the insurance Company Sun Life. I was referred months later to Occupational Medicine specialist, where he diagnosed me with Acute Inhalation Injury. I sent a letter also To Workplace Health and Safety months ago, have not heard from them. I feel I am going in circles .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The people I work with, including the radiologists (the owners of the company) know that I injured there, it was unfolded in front of their eyes. I have talked to the radiologists about compensation for loss wages etc.already. They are I guess waiting for my letter. I am not sure what is that I can ask for beside loss wages, benefits etc.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The point is that you have been harmed more than simply to the extent that you may not be able to work. You have to receive damages for pain and suffering.

I don't think that you will be treated fairly if you self represent. You have been harmed and it sounds like the damage is severe and permanent. The personal injury lawyer will assist you in getting what you are entitled to. The lawyer will need an expert to evaluate your situation and come up with a number that would be fair and given that you are being given the runaround is not likely that you will ever be able to obtain what a personal injury lawyer can get for you. I don't think you should hesitate at all but should consult with a personal injury lawyer face-to-face soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to find a personal injury lawyer , do you have any recommendation ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.