Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a p.o.a. and my friend recently passed away. While I

Customer Question

i am a p.o.a. and my friend recently passed away. While I was doing this, I spent a lot of her money because we were constantly at the hospital, etc....what can happen to me?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying you spent her money on yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spent it on her and me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was constantly going to the hospital. When she went, I went. My car ran it's course, so I bought another one. I had it 3 days, and it was crap, so had to get another. I had to be there for her. These cars cost $1,200 each, plus certification. I spent a lot more than that though. I spent my whole inhertitance.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are there other beneficiaries?

Was she mentally competent and if so did she agree about this spending?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are other beneficiaries. My amount was set, and they get the rest. She was not mentally competant
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that you are taking the position that what you spent on yourself would wipe out the inheritance?

Did you take more than what you would inherit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I might have. So, do I fess up to the family and lawyer?, or do I wait for them to contact me?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What may be best is for you to pay back the estate at once.

You were not authorized to use any money of your friends on yourself. This is actually considered to be fraud.

If you pay back the money to the estate it is possible that they will let this matter go.

But, I am not your lawyer, and it may be best for you to get actual legal advice from your own lawyer and so you should set up a face-to-face consultation with a lawyer as soon as possible.