How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101418
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is living in CA with US citizenship. She was born

Customer Question

My friend is living in CA with US citizenship. She was born and raised in Canada, so I think is still considered a Canadian too (by Canada, not the US). She has recently been charged with DUI. If convicted, will she be able to return to Canada?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So long as your friend is a Canadian citizen she can return home by right. There's nothing that can prevent her from returning home regardless of what her criminal record may be if any.

Let me know if you need any further clarification

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. She became an American citizen a few years ago. Would Canada still recognize her as a Canadian?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Unless she took active steps to renounce her Canadian citizenship she is absolutely still a Canadian citizen.