Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

We have property that has been in the family years and I

Customer Question

Customer: hi we have property that has been in the family for 58 years and I want to build a new house with in 100 feet of a stream do I have to go by the new rules that say I cant be with in 100 feet is there a grandfather clause
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what kind of details do you need
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

The nature of a "Grandfather" clause in a situation that you have described, gives exception to existing buildings, if they happen to contravene the rule at the time the rule is created. It does not give authority for new buildings to circumvent the rules, regardless of how long a person has owned the land. The land would have to comply with the rules going forward from the time rules are put in place. The exemptions apply to existing structures only.

Likewise, if there were an existing building that was exempt, only that building is allowed if grandfathered. If the building were torn down this would terminate any grandfather clause and it would not carry forward to any new building erected on the site.

Please let me know if you require anything further.

Jim