I am on title with my ex partner. We have split up

Customer Question
Hello I am on title with...
Hello
I am on title with my ex partner. We have split up amicably.Moving forward, I would like to remove my name from the mortgage. I have paid 50% of all mortgage payments, home renos/improvements and property taxes for the last 4 years. I moved into this home on or about July 15,2015. If I were to leave the premises, will I still be entitled to benefit from this investment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
1/8/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

When you say you want to remove your name from the mortgage, do you actually mean that you also want to remove your name from the title?

Have you spoken to the bank about this?

that's what I mean....most immediate is the question about vacating the premises and my legal right around that? I have not spoken to the lender yet.

You will not lose any ownership rights by moving out of the home. It is possible that you will lose your right to occupy the home, but not to own it.

If you want to remove yourself from the title of the home you will need the consent of the bank. They will only agree if your former spouse has a strong enough credit rating to carry the mortgage alone.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.