Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I left my husband and walked away from my log home and

Customer Question

I left my husband and walked away from my log home and assists it's been a year or so since realizing how abused I was from his lifestyle which included transsexualism a lying about his infertility etc. Am I able now that I'm not so scared anymore. To go for half of the house I helped physically build I was also concerned when he did not work for years during the marriage I have always worked and he used my credit rating to get dune buggies etc.. I'm not sure if I'm entitled to what I left behind I moved to a hotel to run away so I could be divorced. And was too frightened to get a lawyer at the time. & yes he was extreme in his emotional sexual and mental abuse towards me.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you say you simply walked out one year ago and have not come to any agreement or received any orders about anything?

How long were you married for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
together since 1996. Married in 2003. Left Aug 2014
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Divorced was finalized. But I was so scared and did not want to fight him and in fact got left with a personal loan from the build and many other bills in our little town . I have paid them. The loan is a constant burden $ 1000 about a month. All he paid was 28 thousand .. That's it didn't even cover the building loan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has our Log home the 2 hectare lot its built on. Brand new Toyota corolla. An arctic cat prowler. A Toyota truck. The quanset hut shop we built . the truck camper. An older snowmobile etc.. Etc.. He also kept my Dog. as silly as that sounds. It's in the divorce agreement. I was messed up when I signed it. I did in fact receive a cast iron fry pan.. Mmmhmm will explain how scary and detailed he was. The frying pan was actually in the agreement.. So scary.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear this. When you signed the agreement did you have a lawyer providing you with independent legal advice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. None whatsoever. I was terrified. I
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Given that you were terrified and that you did not have independent legal advice it may be possible for a court to set aside your separation agreement so that you can start over and seek a fair division of assets.

I suggest that as a next step you consult with an experienced family lawyer. It is never easy to convince the court to set aside a separation agreement but it is possible.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for this information. I needed to start somewhere. Sincerely H.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. I'm so sorry that this happened to you and I hope things work out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was signed by a local notary public. The nearest big city is a***** I wish I could have understood my rights. It was built by hand no contracer its a finished to code beautiful home. So many hours of hard labor. I used a 5 inch angle grinder. 193 logs. Sanding. We hauled every log outta the bush. And I was working full time. It was a Nazi marathon. Just saying.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Be sure to tell all this to your lawyer.

Take good care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank you.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.