How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99931
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I imigrated my ex egyptian husband to Canada from emirates 4

Customer Question

I imigrated my ex egyptian husband to Canada from emirates 4 or 5 years ago. At the time I thought he loved me but really just wanted to go to canada to be with his egyptian family.When I sent the immigration papers (through a lawyer) I had found a job in Canada for after July. He went to Canada in February before July. I went in the summer and found my job was no longer in place so I went back to emirates to a new job teaching. He remained in Canada as he would not leave. I supported him for a couple of months and then stopped financiallylive supporting him . He found a job and did not use any of Canada's services thank goodness. I went in summers to visit him. The last time I visited him he gave me a black eye. As soon as the three years were up he asked for a divorce.He wanted to get one in Canada though as we were through the Egyptian Embassy I filed for one here in Egypt where I currently live. I discovered he was cheating on me day one in Emirates and Canada. He starting sending me threatening messages through facebook, my school director and principal costing almost my job. My lawyer discovered a criminal record here in egypt with him being in Jail for a year and a half for Heroin possession. I have the transcript of the messages and his criminal record in Egypt. I am now remarried and very happy but wonder if I should send the criminal record to Canadian Immigration or not.
He was picked up in Canada for having pot in car. I wonder as he can now apply for can apply for Canadian Immigration if I should send his criminal record to canadian immigration even anomyly. As I was not with him during the three years if he complains I do not want to get myself into legal trouble. Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying he is just now applying for PR status or he received this three years ago ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He got permanent residence 4years ago
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So is itbyour view that this was a sham marriage? And, on top of that you believe he did not reveal his criminal record when he applied. Is that correct?

Is the goal for him to lose his PR status and be deported?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believed him that he truly loved me so in my thought I thought it was a genuine marriage
I did t know he was a criminal with a criminal with a criminal record.
He was convincing that he loved me. I am not sure now that we are divorced iif I should let the Canadian government about his criminal record or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want him bAck in Egypt but on the other hand I do not want him to get citizenship. I am married to an Egyptian lAwyer. He thinks I should check with a lawyer about this matter...
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Well whether you should tell the Canadian government this information depends what your goal is. If you want him to lose his PR status because he lied to you and just used you to get his permanent resident status then you can tell Canada immigration both about what happened with the marriage and also that he has a criminal record.

You aren't under any obligation to do that so it's really up to you.

If you do inform them they very well may investigate, especially about the criminal record and if they find that he lied he will lose his status and be deported. So it's up to you to decide what you want to see happen here. Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you .
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please email me and please don't text on this phone number any more. Thank you!
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what you mean. But, I do not work for the site and I don't have the ability to contact you in anyway except for posting on the site. I am a practicing lawyer and I just login and answer questions the same way you login to ask them.

Once you rate me I can contact customer service on your behalf and tell them your concern.

Related Canada Law Questions