How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101367
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to get advice on a very important matter to me.

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
I am trying to get advice on a very important matter to me. When I was 9 I was adopted and now that I am 21 I want to legally change my guardianship back to my birth parents who are both alive and willing to have me take their name. The adoptive family I lived in was a very awful experience. I was mentally abused and neglected, I will do whatever it takes to have them legally removed from my files as being my guardian and on my birth certificate, I want my real parents to be the legal guardian.
Please let me know if you can help or guide me in a direction that I can do this,
Thank you so much
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The answer you were provided is entirely incorrect.

But first let me know if your birth parents are willing to adopt you legally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My birth parents are willing to do so. I want to remove my adopted parents and have my birth parents are my legal guardians. I heard I may have to do it in court but how do you even do that, I have no experience with legal matters.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

They will not be your legal guardian as you are an adult.

But they can adopt you and then your birth certificate will be changed to reflect that they are your parents.

In NB adult adoptions are lawful so long as the person adopting you is appropriately older than you and that is clearly the case and so long as there is no reason why you are doing this that is not bona fide and your reason is clearly bona fide.

But you will need a lawyer to assist you.

The lawyer will do the legal forms and go to court on your behalf to get the adoption order. It is actually your biological parents that have to hire the lawyer.