MHPC
MHPC,
Experience:  Solicitor at Meredith Holmes Professional Corporation
87721829

I have two parents that passed away in 2009 and 2010

Customer Question

Customer: I have two parents that passed away in 2009 and 2010 respectively. They were both lifelong smokers and passed away from cancers directly related to smoking. As their son, do I have any grounds for litigation?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Mother was diagnosed in 2008 with bladder cancer, wich she passed away from January 27, 2009. Father was diagnosed with non-squamous lung cancer in November 2009 which he passed away from im augusy 2010. Both their Oncologists said they were smoking related cancers as they had both been smokers for over 40 years.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were residents of Ottawa, ON
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  MHPC replied 1 year ago.

If you were a dependent of your parents (ie: a child, an adult in college or university but living at home, or an adult with disabilities living at home) and are not inheriting anything, then you can bring a dependent's relief claim against the estate of the last person to die to get compensation.