How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went through a pretty divorce. my 17 year old daughter

Customer Question

hi there,
i went through a pretty nasty divorce. my 17 year old daughter lives with her dad and does not want to see me. i have not seen her in a year. i pay full support.
is there anyway i can force the issue and see her somehow? what are my rights? do i have any at this age? her father is most unagreeable and hostile towards me. this will not help my cause.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying this is coming from your daughter or from her father?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perhaps i should consult a lawyer? are you able to answer my question?thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you out there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...this is frustrating. please resond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will someone contact me?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. I was without internet for several hours for some odd reason relating to my internet provider even though I live in a major city and this is a major provider. I know it is frustrating and I share your frustration entirely. I am truly sorry.

You can get an order compelling the father to provide access but you cannot force a child of this age to see you if she refuses to do so.

A letter from a lawyer to the father may cause the father to ask your daughter to see you so you won't drag him into court. He most assuredly will not want to have to pay a lawyer whether he will win or lose in court. That is what I recommend you do as your next step.

I will try my best to reply back again if you reply today but as it is New Year's Eve I may not be able to unless you reply fairly soon.

Please accept my sincere apology for this terrible delay.