How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3472
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have split up and she has removed my twin

Customer Question

My ex and I have split up and she has removed my twin daughters out of province behind my back what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kevin, thanks for the question.

Your ex is the other parent? When did this happen?

You're in Alberta, what province did they go to? Visiting or moved there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is the mother , she has moved to BC
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

When did this happen?

I assume that there's no court order or contract in place at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No this has just happend two days before chtistmas I sadly had to come back to work I work out of town and I found out she took the girls and left
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

How do you know where she's gone? Have you been in touch with her?

How old are the children?

Why did she leave? (short form, please)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The girls are 18 months she left fo to thefact she thinks I cheated on her . I found out when I went to the house and found all of our thinhs gone and called her and she informed me she was movin .
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'm sorry that this has happened. You need to see your lawyer right away, if you don't have one then find one quick. You can address this in court yourself, but it has to be done right the first time. When you're calling lawyers, even if they can't represent you in court then ask if their office can help you get the paperwork done quickly.

You can bring a motion to court asking for an order that the children be returned to Alberta. While you can't stop her from leaving the relationship or the home, you can stop her from taking the children out of the province or community where they normally live. I assume that your home is the home the children normally live in, at least for 3 or 6 months.

So there is something you can do. But you have to act quickly, and it has to be done right. This is going to be done on an urgent or emergency basis. I hope you have an address for her for service of documents. If not, you'll need to make some calls and try to find out. Also, call her and try to talk about this. You want her to bring the children back to Alberta voluntarily of course, but prepare for court. Remind her that she doesn't have the right to relocate the children out of the province without a court order, but don't get into a big fight about it if possible.

Does that make sense? Please reply if there's more to discuss about this topic. If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try and reach out to a lawyer as soon as I can I am back at work in the bush until wednesday . Thank you for your help do you know of a good lawyerin grande prairie alberta ?
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, no. The best way to find a lawyer is to ask family and friends for a referral, who they'd recommend and who not.

You can call your provincial law society's Lawyer Referral Service, they all have one. Or check websites for family law in your area. A good site is called lexpert, you can search by type of law and what community you're in.

Don't leave this until you're back from work, get the ball rolling right away.

Anything else to discuss?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kevin, are you back from your latest work stint? Anything new about your situation? Have you communicated with your ex or found a lawyer yet?

Related Canada Law Questions