Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

We live in a semi detached in Toronto and our neighbor has

Customer Question

We live in a semi detached in Toronto and our neighbor has done some poor renos where we now hear almost anything they do. I actually heard the owner and contractor argue about her refusal to install Roxal or proper insulation. The City refuses to even look into the situation and say they have looked at plumbing as they believe this to be the only work done even though I have told them so on separate occasions. Do we have the ability to get the City or someone else more involved? This has now brought down the value of our home and I will not stand for that. Thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

If the city inspectors will not assist you then your next step is to either send a demand letter yourself or have a lawyer send a demand letter to the neighbours for you. The letter will demand that the neighbours rectify the situation at once by using the proper installation and threaten a lawsuit for damages, for an order requiring them to insulate properly and for your legal costs.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Can we force the City to do anything or make them liable in any way?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can only make the city liable if the neighbour breached a bylaw or zoning requirement and the city allowed it.