How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100468
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've full time job at factory. Now because of my health

Customer Question

Hello,I've full time job at factory. Now because of my health issues I want to work less hours ( 3 days a week).How by law it 'd work ? Will it be reduction of my salary ? Benefits and Vacations ?At our factory we are using sulphats which make influence to my health issue:G6PD deficiency is aninherited condition in which the body doesn't have enough of the enzyme glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, or G6PD, which helps red blood cells (RBCs) function normally. This deficiency can cause hemolytic anemia, usually after exposure to certain medications, foods, or even infections.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you in a union?

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not in union...private company..
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Have you asked your employer about reducing your hours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOT YET.I need to verify everything before to ask them. I need to know employment laws that is why I'm waiting more
information from you about law. Waiting....
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The law is that the employer is required to provide you with reasonable accommodations if you have a medical report providing details of what you need because of a disability unless providing you these accommodations would cause the employer to undergo undue hardship.

If the employer refuses to make these accommodations and they will not cause the employer to undergo undue hardship this is considered to be a form of discrimination and contrary to the Human Rights Code and you could file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission/Tribunal.

If you work less then it would make sense for the employer to reduce your pay proportionally.

Your benefits may be reduced as well as your vacation entitlement.

So you should be sure to provide the employer with a medical report at the time you go to speak to them.

Related Canada Law Questions