How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100407
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Madam i am syrian physician and i got visit visa to canada

Customer Question

hello sir/madam
i am syrian physician and i got visit visa to canada and i want to proceed for refugee program so what is your advice and what should i do ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can make a refugee claim at a Canadian border or airport, or from within Canada.

There are essentially two grounds for obtaining refugee status.

One way is you meet the definition of a Convention Refugee. The other is if is you are considered to be a person in need of protection.

To be a Convention refugee, you must have a well-founded fear of being persecuted in your home country because of your:

* Race,
* Religion,
* Nationality,
* Political opinion, or
* Membership in a particular social group. (This can be a group that you chose to join, such as a labour union, or that you belong to because of who you are, such as a family. If you fear persecution because of your gender or sexual orientation, your claim is based on membership in a particular social group.)

You must also be unable or unwilling to return to your country because of your fear and the conditions there.

To be a person in need of protection, you must be someone who, if you had to return to your home country, would more likely than not face:

* Torture,
* A risk to your life, or
* A risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

If you face a risk to your life, or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment, you must show all of the following:

* You are not able to get protection from the government in your country.
* The risk affects you personally and is not faced generally by other people in your country. For example, the risk is not the result of a famine or civil war.
* The risk is not the result of government laws, such as punishment for committing a crime, unless these laws violate international standards.
* The risk is not caused by the fact that you cannot get adequate medical care in your country unless this is because of persecution or discrimination.

If you are at an airport or border, you can start your claim by telling a immigration officer that you want to make a refugee claim.

If you are already in Canada, you can contact CIC to start your claim.

Here is a link to the government webpage that explains how this all works:

Related Canada Law Questions