My boyfriend is moving in, I would like to sign a

Customer Question
Hello, My boyfriend is moving in...
My boyfriend is moving in, I would like to sign a cohabitation agreement, as I don't want to jeopardize my properties in case things don't work out as expected.
Do I need a lawyer to validate this agreement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
12/18/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

What province are you in please?

Alberta

In Alberta common law spouses do not have property rights so that means unless he contributes to the value of your properties he will not be able to successfully make a claim for an interest in them.

However, in any event, it is by far better to have a cohabitation agreement so you are very prudent.

The only way that you can be sure that the cohabitation agreement will be binding is for you to have your lawyer draft the agreement and have your boyfriend take the agreement to his own lawyer for independent legal advice. If he doesn't get independent legal advice he can later say that he did not understand the law or what he was signing.

Debra, Lawyer