How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101436
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am thinking of immigrating to Canada with my wife. My wife

Customer Question

I am thinking of immigrating to Canada with my wife. My wife and I are both self employed software engineers making over 230,000 CAD per year. Is it possible to immigrate to Canada and continue working as self employed, or would we both need to find jobs there first?An online points calculator said I have 67 points.We are from the UK, but currently reside in The Netherlands.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did yourspouse take the online test as well and if so what were the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The same, 67 points. I believe we can both get jobs there and work without a problem. The main question is if we can work there self employed.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

To apply for permanent residency in Canada you have to fall within one of the different classes or categories that gives you the grounds you need to immigrate to Canada.

From your information it would seem that you may be able to apply under the skilled worker class.

Here is the link that will provide you with all the information you need about this process:

When you read all the information you will see that there are basically two ways people can apply under this category. One way is if their occupation falls within the list that they provide you.

The second way is if one of you gets a job offer and then this job falls within the categories and levels that is listed on the National Occupation List.