How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101395
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my wife agreed to get a divorce, we do not have kids,

Customer Question

Hello, me and my wife agreed to get a divorce, we do not have kids, no joint account, and no property, we are renting, I have a car that is financed, I just want to know what are my obligations towards her, how can we start the process, thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What province is this place?

How long have you been married for? Did you live together first and if so for how long?

Are you incomes about equal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been married for 4 years now, I sponsored her to come in to Canada, she arrived on March 2014, our income in not equal, and we are living together since she arrived
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is your income higher than hers?

Is your financial undertaking for three years?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is higher than hers, and yes it is for three years
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Your obligation is to provide her with spousal support for at least the time of the undertaking. In most cases the court would order the support to be paid for somewhere between 2 to 4 years after you separate.

It will make sense for you to consult with a family lawyer face-to-face as your next step so that you can determine how much support you should offer her and so that you can try to settle this matter without going to court.

Given your facts an experienced family lawyer can likely settle this quite easily and you should not have to go to court to deal with this one issue.