Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How can i find out if someone is legally married in Canada?

Customer Question

how can i find out if someone is legally married in Canada ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  MHPC replied 1 year ago.

Find out what province they live in and request a marriage certificate from Vital Statistics of that province.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This answer is incorrect so I am stepping in to provide a correct answer.

It is not possible for someone not related to the person to obtain a marriage certificate.

Generally, aside from the parties to the marriage only the children of the marriage, the parents of the parties to the marriage and legally authorized representatives who can provide proof of this authorization can apply.

If one of the parties to the marriage is deceased then next-of-kin can apply. If you need to know who next-of-kin is just let me know.