How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99929
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a paralegal help me get my license back and we had a

Customer Question

I had a paralegal help me get my license back and we had a affidavit signed saying I would pay him 500 for the service and then 150 to represent me in my coming court date but we agreed verbally that I didn't have to pay the 150 fee yet as long as it's
before the court date and shortly after him getting my license reinstated he stoped replying to my emails and stoped taking my calls, he pretty much abandoned me and I was supposed to be making payments everymonth to make it look good before the court date
but I lost track of time and now the court date in next month. Should a hire another lawyer or paralega? I'm not sure what to do next? I live in Toronto Canada btw
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.


Is your traffic matter a US or Canadian offense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Canadian offense, should I send you the affidavit?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

No. You posted this in a US law category and your question said that it related to the US. I thought you had your difficulty here in the States.

I am going to ask customer service to move this into our Canada Law section where a Canadian lawyer can address this for you.

No need to reply to me as it will keep this question from being visible to other experts if you do that. Please be patient as customer service may not move it right away. But you will get an email when a Canadian lawyer has responded.

Best holiday wishes.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm not quite following the facts.

Are you saying that you had to pay the paralegal a certain amount of money to take on your case, you paid him and now he is ignoring you so you don't think he's going to go to court to represent you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually paid for the service itself and he got the job done, but the other cost on the affidavit was $150 for him to represent me and we made a verbal agreement since at the time I only had enough to cover the 500 which was seprate from the representation fee and that as long as I pay him before the court date it's ok but he ended up disappearing.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then what you should do is file a complaint with the law society of upper Canada. The law society of upper Canada regulates paralegals just the way they regulate lawyers. This is grounds for discipline. In fact, they paralegal could lose his licence.

As well, it may be that the law society will assist you in getting back your money but if not then you can sue the paralegal in small claims court. You can self represent there and if it gets that far you can always post on the site again I can assist you further.

You would sue for more than $150 because you would sue for damages as you arecgoing to have to pay another paralegal more than $150 to represent you in court.

Related Canada Law Questions