Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I took out a mortgage in Jul with a private lender. The

Customer Question

I took out a mortgage in Jul with a private lender. The company I used insisted that I had to use one of there lawyers for paper signing. I had informed them that the time we met had to meet was to specific as my husband was to be at work on time. We were early however he was nearly two hours late he sensed that we were annoyed and rushed threw the signing. In this process the approval for mortgage funding was not signed yet they paid out all funds and withdrew payment. Now they want urgently come in and sign this document. The crutch of this is we now loose out on wages of at least a thousand dollars from lost employment revenue(a mortgage Payment). Can I send him a bill for this? We were told it was a one shot visit.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No. You cannot send them a bill. You haven't done any service in that merits bill them for.

But you can discuss this with them and see how they feel about coming to some agreement where you get some compensation for your extra time by way of reimbursement.