How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101005
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked with a friend in a business. She and I fell out and

Customer Question

Hi there,
I worked with a friend in a business. She and I fell out and she made many accusations that are not true via email. She is now refusing to pay 13k USD because she feels I don't deserve it. She is offering 5k Canadian. I have not responded to her email, as I am giving her 30 days. If she does not pay, I have an email stream of abusive accusations and harassment and previous emails indicating other fees owed (but I have not billed for). What are my rights in this case and how do I respond to her email declining 5k?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Where was the business operating out of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I operate out of Calgary and she is Vancouver. I did the recruitment for a client of hers and she's holding back payment.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can send her a demand letter giving her a deadline for paying you in full. Tell her if she fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking damages, interest and your costs.

You can then sue her in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

I am sorry this happened to you.