How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a reputable nurse and have been a victim of slander and

Customer Question

i am a reputable nurse and have been a victim of slander and defamation,this former friend has been telling people that i have been sleeping around to other friends.she has damaged my reputation in the community and caused frustration.i now feel i have to do something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Is everything being said about you in verbal form or is she also emailing or posting statements about you that are false?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she phones some of m y close friends and each time i talk to any guy she tells that i slept with him and one time she said i charge 500,00 for each time cause the guy was a doctor. she sometime would even ask the guys if i slept with them and even if they wont answer she will phone all of my friends to say that i may be sleeping with so and wouldnt matter if she stopped but its esculating where it might turn ugly and i want to give a warning as iam grown woman with 2 daughters
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she doesnt email or post
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u replyimg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hellow I didn't pay for this kind of poor service
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay. I did reply. My reply did not go up. Sometimes, when the customer replies again before their reply from the expert goes up thisvcuts off the experts reply. I expect because my answer was somewhat lengthy it did not go up and in time and your reply cut it off. I will now provide it again.

Your question is about defamation.

Defamation is false communication about a person that tends to hurts the person's reputation.

The communication must be made to other people, not just to the person it's about. It can be spoken or written, or it can even be a gesture.

The law protects your reputation against defamation so, if someone defames you, you can sue the person for money to compensate you for your damage to your reputation.

But it's important to understand that the law doesn't protect you from a personal insult or a remark that injures only your pride; it protects reputation, not feelings.

For example, if someone says that you are a sleazy person then that's not damaging to your reputation as it's really just a mean insult. But if the person is saying that you are dishonest in business, you probably do have a good reason to sue.

In your case because the defamation is happening verbally the actual legal term for what you would sue for is "slander".

If you can prove that someone libeled you ( that is when the defamation is in written form) and that person does not have a good defence, then a court will presume that you suffered damages and award you money to compensate for your damaged reputation.

The law treats slander differently than libel: with slander, you have to prove you suffered damages, in the form of financial loss, to get compensation. It can be very difficult to prove this sort of financial loss. That's why most slander cases never go to court.

But in the following four examples, a slander lawsuit may succeed without you proving financial loss. Even though there's no permanent record of the slander, the law will presume damages, as if there were libel, if someone:

  • accuses you of a crime (unless they made the accusation to the police)
  • accuses you of having a contagious disease
  • makes negative remarks about you in your trade or business
  • accuses you of adultery
Your next step should be to consult with a lawyer face-to-face with a view to retaining the lawyer to send this person a demand letter that demands that this malicious defamation cease-and-desist at once, demands a formal written retraction and written apology, and threatens a lawsuit. I hope that helps

Related Canada Law Questions