How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99964
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked company as an independent subcontractor at the

Customer Question

I worked for a company as an independent subcontractor at the airport as a security escort,and I think they wrongfully terminated my contract and they owe me $ 2,104.29
as per my invoices I invoiced to the company The reason why I was terminated
We were not paid for our invoices for the worked performed in August and I am still not paid this one invoice. They claimed that I asked questions to the other subcontractors about if they were paid or not. I feel it is Hear Say, He Said, She Said, I do not think they have no proof. I e mail them all my outstanding invoices hoping that they reconcile with their payables , They advised me i most recent email that payment would happen today, I sent another e mail today and no response , They don't even return my calls.
Can I bring them to small claims court I don no think I can take out a Lien as work is done at the airport ,on Federal Lands . Can I approach THE GTAA about this matter.
Yours very Truly
Ron & Mark Caplan (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can only really deal with your direct employer.

You cannot register a lien because providing security services is not covered under the group of people that can register a lien on title.

You can take them to small claims court. That is the best route to go in my view.

What you should do is send them a letter by registered mail setting out what the owe you and providing them with a deadline to pay you. In the letter tell them that you will be commencing legal proceedings and will be seeking interest and your costs if they fail to comply.

You can then sue them in small claims court and self represented. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on the site again and I can assist you further.

Related Canada Law Questions