How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100407
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in London Ontario and i have rented a an apartment in

Customer Question

Hi . I live in London Ontario and i have rented a an apartment in a building downtown. I am considering to sublease it. if i do that what would be the legal implications, rights and responsibilities to me and/or the person who rests it from me . and where can I find a contract to use between us.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Has the landlord agreed to the sublease?

Would you still be living there and renting out part of the unit or would you be moving out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not discussed it with the landlord .It is a big residential building downtown and I will be visiting but not really living there since I would be subleasing the apartment to my son.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You first need permission of the landlord. At the same time, the landlord is not permitted to unreasonably withhold his consent.

This sublease will not affect your obligations to the landlord. In other words, you remain liable to the landlord and your son will be a liable to you. So, if your son fails to pay rent you are on the hook.

Your son will have the legal right to live in the unit and so long As the landlord says he can sublet he should have all the rights that you have.

We cannot provide documentation so I cannot provide you with the contract. I'm sorry about that.

Does that answer your questions?

Related Canada Law Questions