How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100001
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated from my husband years and have not

Customer Question

I have been separated from my husband for 20 years and have not divorced as he was abusive and threatened to kidnap my children. He is currently in the hospital in Vancouver, B.C. He would like me to sign divorce papers and claims that if he dies I could get stuck with his American Insurance hospital bills. He has millions hidden and is still worried that I might at least get back child support payments. I'm use to his narcissistic ways and scare tactics, but I'm wondering if this is at all possible?
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No. Is not the least bit possible that you would be stuck with his bills. You would not be stuck with his bills even if you were still together. You're only stuck with someone'sa bills if you guarantee them or if you are a co-signer.

His estate will get stuck with the bills if he dies but you certainly will not.

Related Canada Law Questions