Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

A friend of mine is getting divorced and is out of a job and

Customer Question

Hi!
A friend of mine is getting divorced and is out of a job and is knee deep in a car lease her ex dumped on her when he bullied her into signing for the car last yr. it's a car she most definitely can't afford as the monthly payment is over 1k/mth. She has a 7 yr old to boot. Her ex is not being very consistent w child support. He's just bad news all the way around.Is there a way to break the lease w the leasing co? The leasing co tells her she's SOL. Are their provisions/conditions for breaking her lease w/out having to declare bankruptcy? Her lease is w Hyundai...or their leasing co. She lives in qc if that makes a difference.Thank you!
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Which state? Is she on the lease alone or with the spouse? Was the lease signed while she was married?

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's from Quebec. The car is unfortunately in her name. It was and continues to be a question of him 'evading the govt's watchful eyes'. Nothing is him name. This will work to her advantage when she sells the house (they are not legally married) but the car she's liable. He's quite a piece of work!
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

I will report this to switch to Canadian law. Please do not respond to this message, as it will delay getting a Canadian law expert to respond.