How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine is getting divorced and is out of a job and

Customer Question

A friend of mine is getting divorced and is out of a job and is knee deep in a car lease her ex dumped on her when he bullied her into signing for the car last yr. it's a car she most definitely can't afford as the monthly payment is over 1k/mth. She has a 7 yr old to boot. Her ex is not being very consistent w child support. He's just bad news all the way around.Is there a way to break the lease w the leasing co? The leasing co tells her she's SOL. Are their provisions/conditions for breaking her lease w/out having to declare bankruptcy? Her lease is w Hyundai...or their leasing co. She lives in qc if that makes a difference.Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Which state? Is she on the lease alone or with the spouse? Was the lease signed while she was married?

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's from Quebec. The car is unfortunately in her name. It was and continues to be a question of him 'evading the govt's watchful eyes'. Nothing is him name. This will work to her advantage when she sells the house (they are not legally married) but the car she's liable. He's quite a piece of work!
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

I will report this to switch to Canadian law. Please do not respond to this message, as it will delay getting a Canadian law expert to respond.