How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100429
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was diagnosed with ADD 3 years ago. In 1998, before I had

Customer Question

Hi. I was diagnosed with ADD 3 years ago. In 1998, before I had any indication of my condition, I enrolled in a course and paid for it with student loan. I stopped working completely around 2000, and had no money to repay the loan. Now I'm being contacted by a collection agency to pay $17,000. Given my situation, and the fact that the government granted me a sum of money for all the years I had ADD and wasn't aware of it, do I have any recourse in this matter? Legally, is there anything I can do?
Thanks for any help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking whether being diagnosed with ADD will assist you in this matter?

When is the last time you made a payment towards this loan?

Is this a federal loan, a provincial loan or a combination of both?

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Ontario
I made one payment many years ago from money I borrowed from my mother. In 2009 I got my credit back and never heard from them after 10yrs. I'd like to know what the collection company can do to me if I don't pay.It's the Provincial part of the loan.As for the other, I would hope that since I haven't worked all this time, they might realize I can't pay. If I have no money, what can they do? Thank you.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

When you say many years, do you know when exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it was 1999
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It is too late for the federal loan to be collected as the limitation period has passed.

Unfortunately, the provincial loan is not subject to any limitation period. This means the collection agency can sue you. The judgment will ever expire so they will always be able to garnish your wages or seized assets of your ever have any.

For this reason it would be best if you can settle this with the collection agency.

I am sorry I don't have a more optimistic answer for you.

Related Canada Law Questions