Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Question about copyright of an artist's painting: Three

Customer Question

Question about copyright of an artist's painting: Three years ago I took a coaching session from an established artist. I brought to the class the composition (a cropped photo that I had taken and worked on) and together I worked with the coach on the treatment. Each of us produced a painting based on my composition. Since then, the artist has reproduced works based on my image and composition many times. I have asked him to acknowledge my role or stop using my image. He claims that as coach he owns the copywright. Do I have a legal case to insist that the work is in part mine?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If he was working on something that you created he does not own the copyright.

His being a coach gives him no right whatsoever.

Had he been your employer and you had created this work during the course of your employment then in the absence of an agreement to the contrary he would own the copyright to this work. That is not the case here.

I suggest that you nip this in the bud by paying a lawyer a fee which will be fairly small to send this coach a letter asserting your rights and threatening a lawsuit.