Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

What to do if you haven't file your tax returns for years?

Customer Question

I live in Alberta and had not filed a tax return for 2008 through to 2014. I was just sent tax return assessments from revenue canada in the amount of 175,000. I can't pay that.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Do you owe the money? Why didn't you file returns all these years? Do you have any assets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I owe probably 70,000. the rest is interest and penalties. i didn't file in 2008 because i got behind. then in 2009 i was afraid of the interest. then i lost my job and used all my savings. i am working on starting another business. i maybe have 50K in my house.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you have not prepared your income tax returns cyour next step should absolutely be to retain a chartered accountant who can do your returns as perfectly as possible.

After that you will need either a chartered accountant or a tax lawyer to try and negotiate a deal with the CRA for you. The hope is that they will agree to waive much of the penalties and interest.

They are clearly going to come after you now so if you don't want to lose your house you will have no choice but to address this. Otherwise they will start to seize bank accounts and seize your house and have it sold. They can also garnish counts receivable and wages and they don't need to sue you to do it.

I'm sorry you're in such a difficult situation.