Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My daughter's father just wrote me to let me know he has

Customer Question

My daughter's father just wrote me to let me know he has "decided" to withhold child support as of Dec. 1 (a couple of days away) for various reasons. Daughter is 18, resident of BC and is at University of Victoria in her first year. We have only had verbal agreements as I was trying to be collaborative. Whatever the reason, is he allowed to just stop paying summarily?
Many thanks.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

As the age of majority is 19 in BC there's no possibility that he has a right to withhold child support.

If he does not pay support you can seek s court order for the support and you will also seek a court order for your costs. I suggest that you tell him that you will do so forthwith if he dares to with hold the child support that he's required to pay by law.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Why did you ask the site to close the post.

I answered you and you've not replied back.

I am not sure if you are dissatisfied or not. Do you know you can ask follow-up questions for no charge?

By losing the post you have made it so I won't get credit for my time and effort and the answer. I don't see why you would do that to me so please explain.