How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CanLaw Your Own Question
CanLaw, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 25
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
CanLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you get fired from your management job after 13 years

Customer Question

If you get fired from your management job after 13 years without cause what is my legal right for compensation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

If you were dismissed without cause you are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice. Do you have an employment agreement?

A court will look at several factors to determine what the appropriate reasonable notice would be in your circumstance.

Did they make you an offer?

You should meet with an employment lawyer in person and discuss the facts of your matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find a good lawyer to meet with and yes they gave me an offer of 16000.00 but seems like a kick in teeth after 13 years
Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

You should call the law society in your province and they can refer an employment lawyer to you. The lawyer will review your specific facts and provide you with advice. In general courts consider several factors including the character of your employment, the length of your employment, your age, your job, and how long it would likely take you to find new employment.

An employment lawyer in your area will provide you with greater detail and apply the facts of your situation.

Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

If my answer was of assistance please provide me with a satisfactory rating so i can be paid for my service.

Thank you

Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

Was my answer of assistance?

In general, on the high end of the scale, as you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment.

This is why it is very important for you to meet with a lawyer in person to discuss your matter and the best way to proceed.

Thank you

Related Canada Law Questions