How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100049
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just rented a bungalow in Cochrane ab on Oct 15 2015. As

Customer Question

we just rented a bungalow in Cochrane ab on Oct 15 2015. As the cold arrive we notice the sliding door in our master bedroom was not adequate to normal standard ( thewhole glass was completely frozen we could not see outside and it was very cold, also the front
door which as a storm door but we could see from the inside outside . So the broker's husband told us it was an old house and be thankful we have a new bathroom. I am very upset I am 78 years old and depend on then to tell me the way it is. We told the manager and there is no answer to our demand We have also 6 windows in the front living room and dining which every morning I have to wipe the seal, dripping water What can I do to get out of this place without and problem. Thank you Louise
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Have you made a request to the landlord in writing about the necessary repairs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the conversation was by phone to the maintenance manager.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The Act provides that it's the Landlord's responsibility to keep the home in good repair.

You may not withhold rent but have other options available to you. Before you exercise these options you have to make your requests to the Landlord in writing.

After that one option is to call the government agency that enforces housing by-laws and regulations if you feel these are being breached.

At the same time you can file a complaint with the Residential Tenancies Dispute Branch.

You can ask for an order that the repairs all be made and also for a rent abatement. It is clearly not a lawful answer to you to say the house is old and you should be happy you have a new bathroom. The landlord has a legal duty and it must be adhered to.

Related Canada Law Questions