How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been and are on legal title to a home

Customer Question

my husband and I have been and are on legal title to a home in new Westminster for approximately 24years with our son who is now 41 years old. He married approx. 5 years ago and the marriage has broken. The situation has become unbearable with my son drinking and he is becoming very nasty towards us therefore my husband and I would like to know our legal rights as it is necessary for the home to be sold and just don't know where to turn.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear this.

What you can do is send your son a letter telling him that you require that the house be sold. You can give him a deadline for agreeing to list the house. Then you can tell him that if he fails to agree you will simply have no choice but will need to retain a lawyer and will be seeking a court order for the sale of the home. You can tell him that if you are required to do that you will also then be seeking an order for your legal costs.

Hopefully, if you send him this letter and he takes it to a lawyer his lawyer will make him see that there is no point in going to court because the court will not require that you continue to own this home.