How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A house was purchased by my son and s wife. They are now

Customer Question

A house was purchased by my son and his wife. They are now seperated. When the house was purchased fore 450 thousand his wifes mother gave them $50 thousand to put down on it. A lawyer wrote up a letter and it showed Jamie&Jill 399/450, Gylnis 50/450 and Sharon 1/450. This $50 was given to them as a gift there was no paper signed saying it was to be paid back. Now that they are going to divorce, Gylnis wants the $50 thousand back. There is $80 thousand sitting in trust until an agreement can be reached. Jamie has asked for $15 thousand and they can have the rest. They won't agree to that.
Question is: Does that mean that Glynis is entitled to $50?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What province is this please?

How long were the couple married for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
British Columbia, married 13 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
British Columbia married 13 years.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Was the house purchase before or after the marriage?

Did they live together first?

Related Canada Law Questions