How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100428
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Edmonton Alberta. I am disabled and receing AISH

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Edmonton Alberta. I am disabled and receing AISH as well as CPP disability. I am selling my home as I can no longer afford to live here. I have found a suitable apartment type, ground floor condo to buy and the seller and I agreed to a price and signed the required documents . However, the condo board has said I can not buy the apartment because I own a dog. My dog is a purebred toy poodle who is 10 inches tall and weighs about 7 pounds. I believe I can easily have him declared an Emotional Support Animal. Can the condo board still refuse at that point?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No they cannot. If they were to deny you the right to have a support dog then this would be considered discrimination on the basis of disability.

I suggest you see if you can have the dog certified and then have a lawyer send them a letter explaining the law and threatening a lawsuit.

Related Canada Law Questions