How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3469
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been mentally and physically abused by a roommate

Customer Question

I have been mentally and physically abused by a roommate (who does not pay any rent) who I have a "discreet arrangement" with, where after 5 months I find myself in 45K debt. I am looking for a civil lawyer who can take my case to have her removed from my apartment, and have a restraining order placed against her.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

As long as you stay anonymous, feel free to tell me anything you like.

So what is this arrangement, exactly? Who is on the lease?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This person is not my girlfriend, and our arrangement went from $250 a month for sex (twice a year $500) to pay for school books). There is no lease, I rent from someone who works in the same building as me.
Since I live out of town, I bought her a car so that she could work in town, but believes she is to good for a $10/her job, and I end up paying for everything.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Then here's the obvious question: Why not simply get your stuff out of the unit when she's not there, and inform her that she has until the end of the month to vacate unless she makes some arrangement with the landlord directly?

It strikes me that you want to keep this on the down low, so taking her to court for a restraining order and evicting her is not exactly subtle. Besides, without a lease you can't evict her. Your "landlord" can, however.

You say you live out of town, so this apartment is for you and her. I'm suggesting it's time to simply leave the apartment and leave her. If the car is in your name, take it back.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, and for that I'm sorry. I'm sure there is more to discuss about this topic, so I'll wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has been switched into her name, and I'm taking responsibility of my stupidity and will pay for the debts I have incurred. I have thoughts to move out, like you've suggested, but will not be able to move back in again, because I fear for my health and life as this person is unstable.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

You say you live out of town, Attilla. Why would you need to go back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rent is cheap, but it's true it's not worth my life.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I don't want to come down on your chosen lifestlye Attila. But it seems clear that you wanted to have a "love nest" in another city.

You want to keep the nest but lose the bird that's in it.

However, without a lease in your name showing that you have rights over that space you can't evict her. Plus, if you boot her and she knows where you are then you'll never really feel safe.

In all seriousness, before this situation gets any more out of hand I recommend that you close that chapter of your life and reflect on the incident before trying anything like it again.

Is there anything else about this to discuss? If not then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I'm still here if there's more you want to talk about. Is there?


Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Attila, are you ok? I was thinking about your matter earlier today. I hope that your fears haven't been realized.


Related Canada Law Questions