How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100057
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a situation where I was renting out a two bedroom

Customer Question

I am in a situation where I was renting out a two bedroom apartment and at the end of the term decided to move out. During our term there was a flood that occured from water backing up in the sink. I was informed that this was the stratas fault and payed nothing for the repairs. Now, after the final inspection from the owner I got 625$ back from the security deposit which I thought was fair. I decided to hold on to this cheque for about five months. When I finally deposited the cheque it bounced. I contacted the owner and he is now asking for 225$. He said the stove wasn't working because of water damage and that I had not steamed cleaned the carpets, almost nine months after moving out. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You should tell him that it is an offence to deliberately provide a cheque that was going to bounce.

And that you will sue him for the full amount if you are not paid by a deadline that you set.

You can sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Related Canada Law Questions