Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am in a situation where I was renting out a two bedroom

Customer Question

I am in a situation where I was renting out a two bedroom apartment and at the end of the term decided to move out. During our term there was a flood that occured from water backing up in the sink. I was informed that this was the stratas fault and payed nothing for the repairs. Now, after the final inspection from the owner I got 625$ back from the security deposit which I thought was fair. I decided to hold on to this cheque for about five months. When I finally deposited the cheque it bounced. I contacted the owner and he is now asking for 225$. He said the stove wasn't working because of water damage and that I had not steamed cleaned the carpets, almost nine months after moving out. What should I do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You should tell him that it is an offence to deliberately provide a cheque that was going to bounce.

And that you will sue him for the full amount if you are not paid by a deadline that you set.

You can sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.