Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is it illegal to have some one that is not working on your

Customer Question

Is it illegal to have some one that is not working for you on your payroll? I have a sister which I put in because I want to her to have group insurance.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

That would be considered fraud.

So yes it is illegal.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for but I can see you likely suspected this already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I did not realize that it could be fraud since I payed all the taxes included.
I guess I will have to take her off than.
what could happen to her or I?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying you are actually paying her a salary and her taxes as if she was working?

If that is the case I suggest that you consult with an accountant or lawyer face to face to be sure that you are not getting in over your head without meaning to in terms of income splitting which is not legitimate and this insurance issue.