How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100484
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to sponsor a family residency who is already living

Customer Question

I wish to sponsor a family for permanent residency who is already living in Canada on a visitors visa. I have no family connections to this Family from the Ivory Coast.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the family cannot apply under refugee status; they cannot apply under the family sponsorship as they have no family in Canada; they cannot apply under humanitarian conditions as they come from the ivory Coast. they were granted a 5 year visitors visa in January 2015
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

There are no legal grounds for you to sponsor them.

But if they are permitted to live here for five years they may be able to stay here on H and C grounds because uprooting the family after 5 years is not a great prospect for anyone.

If one of them can apply as a skilled worker that would work best.

Here is a link to the information you should read or show them:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for this information. I had already looked at the Quebec skilled worker immigration category; I am totally unable to find a list of the ' skills' required. the website you recommended has a link to "determine your eligibility, which then sends me to " eligibility criteria'; when I go onto this link.. it takes me back to " determine your eligibility".. can you help?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The Quebec link is what more is needed over and above the eligibility requirements for the rest of Canada.

You can start here:

And read this as well:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your opinion, if I can find a company that will hire Mr C, will that impact the requirement that he leaves the country every 6 months - which is a requirement of the Canadian 5 year visitors visa??
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If he can get a temporary work permit he won't have to leave.

Related Canada Law Questions