What can I do when I am trying to have Vanilla Visa gift

Customer Question
cards activated by Vanilla Visa...
What can I do when I am trying to have Vanilla Visa gift cards activated by Vanilla Visa because the store where they were purchased did not properly activate them at the time of purchase?
We received gift cards for Christmas but didn't attempt to use them until our fall vacation. That's when we had our first hint that something was not working. When we returned home, I pursued this issue with Vanilla Visa, who stated that unless we have a copy of the purchase receipt, they could not do anything. We have given them the information of the day and the store where they were purchased, but they insist that this is not enough and refuse to activate the cards.
I would like to be able to use the money that has been spent in purchase of the cards and I would like Vanilla Visa to serve their customers properly.
Thankyou.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
11/13/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Have you asked the store if they can provide you with some documentation?

Did you ask the person who gave them to you if they could check on their credit card statement for proof of purchase if they were purchased by credit card?

The person who gave me the cards has the credit card statement of the purchase, however Vanilla Visa has stated that they will not accept bank statements as proof.
The store has been taken over by new owners in the meantime and although I spoke with a representative of the new owner, he did not know if it would be possible to provide any documentation.

You can send Visa a letter threatening to sue them if they don't give you replacement cards at once.

You can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you need some help you can always post on this sit again and I can assist you further.

If you end up in Court the burden of proof is on you to prove the cards were bought and paid for. You will be able to have the person who gifted you the cards be a witness and provide their credit card statement. This will most likely be enough.

At the moment I am not accessible by phone. I would have to receive a phone call later this evening, sorry

I am sorry the site offered you that. I cannot talk on the phone in any event. The rules of my law society prohibit that as you are not my client.

Debra, Lawyer