How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99974
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do when I am trying to have Vanilla Visa gift

Customer Question

What can I do when I am trying to have Vanilla Visa gift cards activated by Vanilla Visa because the store where they were purchased did not properly activate them at the time of purchase?
We received gift cards for Christmas but didn't attempt to use them until our fall vacation. That's when we had our first hint that something was not working. When we returned home, I pursued this issue with Vanilla Visa, who stated that unless we have a copy of the purchase receipt, they could not do anything. We have given them the information of the day and the store where they were purchased, but they insist that this is not enough and refuse to activate the cards.
I would like to be able to use the money that has been spent in purchase of the cards and I would like Vanilla Visa to serve their customers properly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Have you asked the store if they can provide you with some documentation?

Did you ask the person who gave them to you if they could check on their credit card statement for proof of purchase if they were purchased by credit card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person who gave me the cards has the credit card statement of the purchase, however Vanilla Visa has stated that they will not accept bank statements as proof.
The store has been taken over by new owners in the meantime and although I spoke with a representative of the new owner, he did not know if it would be possible to provide any documentation.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can send Visa a letter threatening to sue them if they don't give you replacement cards at once.

You can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you need some help you can always post on this sit again and I can assist you further.

If you end up in Court the burden of proof is on you to prove the cards were bought and paid for. You will be able to have the person who gifted you the cards be a witness and provide their credit card statement. This will most likely be enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the moment I am not accessible by phone. I would have to receive a phone call later this evening, sorry
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry the site offered you that. I cannot talk on the phone in any event. The rules of my law society prohibit that as you are not my client.

Related Canada Law Questions