How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101462
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We need to find a Qc notary who speaks English in order to

Customer Question

We need to find a Qc notary who speaks English in order to establish POA for my very ill brother who is in a Montreal hospital and a Qc resident, while we are residents of Ontario. Our matter is urgent and we need to see the notary Asap. Please help. Thank you.
Fr***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Why do you need a notary for this?

Did you ask the hospital for help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told that I need to set up Power of Attorney (financial, medical) for my brother who is mentally but not physically competent. That this person(s) must be a Quebec resident. (I live in Toronto.)The medical staff at the Montreal Neurological Institute is asking for this so they can treat him. Please let me know what I need to do. Thank you.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You do need the POA but I don't see why you need a notary.

This does not need to be notarized.

And in most hospitals they can even provide you with the forms that are needed and will do so as long as they believe your brother is still mentally competent.

You can also use this form but ensure the hospital says it is sufficient: