Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My divorce was granted in July of 1994. I have recently

Customer Question

My divorce was granted in July of 1994. I have recently looked thru the documents and realized that there is an error in the original documents relating to the divorce. The documents in one area read as follows: I stepped down as a Director of in 1997 the company was to continue paying the premiums on a Life Insurance Policy that was purchased because it included Disability Insurance. I was diagnosed with MS in 1995 and the Company was sold in 2008 or 2009. I was not informed of the sale nor was I informed that the Company stopped paying the premiums before the documents were signed. When I attempted to access the disability portion I was informed the policy was no longer in effect. Do I have any recourse because it does appear to me that a fraud had been perpetrated by my ex-husband ... he was responsible for maintaining the payment of these premiums. I was paid for one portion of the Company in 1997 so had no need, financially to access the disability insurance carried by this Life Insurance Co. Now I need the financial aid that this would have provided.
Glorya
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The facts aren't quite adding up for me just yet.

Perhaps it's because I am missing one important point. Is it that your former spouse owns that company? If not, please explain a bit more as I don't see where your former spouse has at this point in time made an error or committed fraud or anything else of that nature.