How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99954
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had to move out of my house suddenly because there was

Customer Question

I had to move out of my house suddenly because there was mold in the walls making my son sick and not able to breathe well. I did not give a months notice because I had to get right out quick for my son's health. My landlord wants another months rent because I didn't give her a months notice. Do I have to pay her? I told her that there was a bad leak earlier and I was worried about mold and she did nothing about it. ..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking about child support or about the rent? You cannot asked two questions on this post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the rent. And what can I do about my landlord not adressing the mold problem.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you make a written request for the landlord to address the mold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I did on whatsapp
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The landlord owed you a duty to keep the home in good repair. That included ensuring that there was no mold in the home.

If you made that request in writing then the landlord is in breach of the act and his duties.

For this reason, if the landlord were to sue you for more rent you can say that the reason why you were not required to provide that notice is that the landlord breached the tenancy agreement by not removing the mold. Your case is actually quite strong.

Related Canada Law Questions