Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

Is it illegal to hack someones email at work

Customer Question

is it illegal to hack someones email at work
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for the question. It might be.

Tell me more about what happened, but don't use details that can identify you or your employer, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am The President and owner of a company. I fire someone a month ago , his title was VP he was in charge of Finance and IT.
He wants to take us to court but he was also administrator to our computer system and had access to everyone emails without
us knowing. He now is quoting things confidential issues that I was discussing with my other partner while he was away.
Where do we stand.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

So you believe that he got into company emails after he was fired? Is it possible that he's using information that he acquired while still employed and in the course of his employment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No these are direct emails that I have sent to my partner and to noone else after he was gone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you think??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello??
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I think that firstly you obviously need to get all your passwords and methods into your system reviewed and changed by whoever is now doing your IT.

Secondly, I think that you have some evidence upon which he could be charged, but the police are likely to consider it an internal matter which is likely to be before the civil court soon enough. If you have a lawyer, ask about pressing for the filing of a private information to see if a justice of the peace will lay a charge in the event that the police don't.

But keep in mind that unless you have several instances of direct quotes, or unless your new IT director can trace the outside access to the system, that this isn't going to be cut and dried in criminal court.

It could be quite useful in civil court however, if it gets that far. The standard of proof is much lower, and you may well have a judge conclude that your disgruntled ex employee did indeed access company data which he had no right doing.

Is there anything more about this to discuss?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm just going over last night's questions. Have you gone over what I wrote? Anything further to discuss on this topic?