How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99980
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a BC family relations child support agreement made in

Customer Question

I have a BC family relations child support agreement made in 2001. The Oder has all the usual language and states I shall pay child support until the age of majority and longer if in school etc. My daughter and her mother live in Alberta now and have for the last 15 years and I have lived here the entire time. My daughter is in university and I am paying child support still but in Alberta child support ends at age 22 no matter what under family law act. I am wondering if my BC agreement will end at 22 or how it works as none of us have lived in BC for over 15years. When will my child support end if my daughter goes to university passed age 22? Can I ask for it to be varied under the Alberta Family law act?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The federal child support guidelines deal with child support and this is a federal matter. In most cases courts tend to use the 22-year-old cut off because in most cases a child can complete a first degree by 22.

However, this is always done on a case-by-case basis. There is no law that says child-support ends at 22.

So really you have to wait and see what happens at me to 22.

As well, there have been many cases where a child is determined to still be entitled to child support for a second degree.

So you cannot go by any specific age cut off.

Related Canada Law Questions