How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101048
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am just trying to figure out which question is the most

Customer Question

i am just trying to figure out which question is the most important before i ask my sisterpassed away oct 29 2014 on oct 27 2014 thedoctor said that continuing treatment woudonly prologue her suffering her boyfriend said to stop it he then had his lawyer come in with a will she was all doped up and asleep they have a signature looks like the witness and they spell margret instead of her real name margaret the new will leaves everything to the boyfriend we have no money where can we get someone to look at the signature and get a lawyer thatwill work on percent of the recovery she left 800,000
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for your loss.

You have to retain a lawyer that does estate litigation.

There is a lot at stake and from what you say in your post the facts are very strongly in your family's favour.

She does not sound like she was mentally competent to sign a Will and so this Will may be invalid and for this reason any older Will would be valid. If there was no Will at all then she would have died intestate and then her estate will go to your parents unless she has a legally married spouse or children.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
initially my question is where can i get someone that does forgery reading onthe hand writingbut also what right did the boyfriend have to tell the doctor to stop treatment when her brother and daughter were there
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I understand what your question was but the issue isn't really about a potential forgery. It is possible the signature was forged. But it is possible that your sister was too ill to sign her regular signature. It is possible she asked for help in signing.

There are plenty of handwriting experts and any lawyer you hire to sue will be able to find one.

But your strongest position isn't about whether this signature was forged as the lawyer is certainly going to say it was not. It is about whether your sister had testamentary capacity or not.

I cannot answer this new question here. Please rate this answer and then start a new post for this new question.