How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100454
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a small business and a company that we have done work

Customer Question

We are a small business and a company that we have done work for is not paying, also sending other contractors to finish our jobs. Without telling us. We have done more then 95% of the work at these jobs, and the parts we could not do, they did not send us with the material. And the company is saying they do not owe us the money because we did not finish the job. What can we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What province is this? How much are you owed? When is the last time you substantially completed the work on each project that you are still owed money for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in Manitoba. And the company owes just under $4500.00. All our jobs are completed in proper timeframe (a week at the most from start date) there was two projects that we did not have material for to complete and within two weeks they sent someone else without informing us that the material was even in.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I understand. But, I need to know when you last worked on each project because that will determine what your options are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) 23th of October 2015
2) 26th of October 2015
3) 30th of October 2015
4) 5th of November 2015
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can file a builder's lien on each of the properties as you can do so as long as you do so within 40 days of the time you substantially completed the work.

You can then sue for the money owing to you.

As a next step you should tell the company that you will file liens on each of the four properties if you are not paid in full.

Or if you can have a lawyer send a letter for you.

Related Canada Law Questions